20100102-kings-coach-paul-westphal
Sorry for the lack of BAD posts this week. Real life sucks sometimes, doesn't it? But I have bawesome news to help you get through the cold-ass weather and snow hitting 99% of the USA right now! Because of the epic turn my NBA 2K10 career has taken (as you will see below), and due to the surprising popularity of such a narcassistic feature, I will start giving my NBA 2K10 My Player career updates their own posts once or twice a week. Trust me, you'll see why this is such a big deal in a second...

Your Quick NBA 2K10 Update:
Well, I won the NBA Championship! After sweeping the Thunder in the Western Conference finals, we took on the Celtics in the Finals. A couple of the games were close (I had a clutch blocked shot with about 30 seconds left in Game 3), but games two and four were blowouts. After taking Tony Parker's starting job at the point, I averaged 35 points, 10 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 turnovers per game during the playoffs. And what was my reward, you ask? Take a look...

01-coaches-handshake
Popovich is so excited.


02-stern-trophy
Um, is that supposed to be David Stern?


03-popovich-trophy
Was Stern turned into a zombie just before the trophy presentation?


04-team-trophy
05-trophy
Woo


After winning the title, I was faced with a decision: what should I do about my career? Free agency was an option, or I could stay with the Spurs and try to repeat. Yes, I could have stayed with Stupidly Talented Tim Duncan and the increasinly clutch Manu Ginobili and sandwich aficionado Matt Bonner. But also considering how frustrating it was having Tony Parker getting all pissy about losing his starting job, resulting in lots of moping and taking bad jumpers, I was definately interested in free agency. During the off-season, I received offers from four teams: the Spurs, the Mavericks, the Magic, and the Clippers. What team should I go with? Hmm...

clippers

Well, I do write for Basketbawful, after all. (I am who you thought I was?) So yeah, I guess it wasn't much of a decision. I'm here for your entertainment, and it doesn't get much better than Chris Kaman putting up bad shots from the post, Baron Davis taking bad jumpers while moping about playing second-fiddle to me, and waiting for Blake Griffin's knees to turn into dust. Oh, yes.

So far, we are 4-1, with our sole loss coming in the season opener against the Nuggets. I was still getting used to playing with my new teammates and learning their tendencies, but also we just got burned up by Chauncey Billups and JR Smith going abso-frickin'-lutely insane from downtown in the second half. They both scored 30+ points, and 90% of those came on three-point bombs. Nothing could stop them. Demoralizing. But after that, I started learning how to play with my teammates, and I've been averaging around 38 points, 10 assists, 4 rebounds, and 5 steals since then. In one game against the Mavericks, I decided "what the hell" and tried to score 75 points after I saw I could exploit their interior defense quite easily. I only had three assists the entire game. I managed to get to 69 points with one minute left in the game... and Virtual Dunleavy sat me for the rest of the game. Bastard. I have since stopped playing for stats, except for one game where I had 30 points, 6 boards, 4 assists, and 4 steals at halftime. I decided to go for my first triple double, or maybe even a quadruple double! I did get my 10 rebounds, but I only managed 9 assists and 8 steals. Steals are, of course, harder to come by, so that was okay. The assists part, however, was frustrating. My teammates (especially Baron Davis, in his first game back after a hand injury) just could not hit an open jumper in the second half, and they refused to drive to the basket if I passed it to them. Ugh. (Stop killing my Wilt Chamberlain-like statistical goals, bad teammates! It's the only thing I have left to keep my will from being crushed by Virtual Donald Sterling and Virtual Mike Dunleavy!)

Transactional news so far: we picked up Jermaine O'Neal early, but then just two games later traded him straight-up for Randy Foye.

Worst of the Night Last Weekend in Pictures:
Because real life kept me from getting a chance to post a BAD earlier this week, I still had these pictures left over from the weekend, and they were too good not to share. Enjoy!

20100103-kobe-farmar-high-five
"Don't you dare look at me."


20100102-carlos-arroyo-enjoys-man-love
20100102-turkoglu-tony-allen
A double dose of man love


20100102-michael-beasley
Brandon Jennings brought back the Kid 'n' Play high top fade. Michael Beasley's bringing back the Dr. J ABA 'fro. Can you dig it?


Worst of the Night in Pictures - Man Love Edition:

2010-01-06-bargnani-pietrus
Bargnani and Pietrus share a moment

Via Shayan of Mediocre Forever


2010-01-06-vinsanity-marco-belinelli
"Really aggressive attempt at the man-love @ Orlando."

Via tonious35


Nationally Televised Games:
Bobcats at Knicks: No TNT games tonight -- this one is the only game of the night, and it's on NBA TV. Whatever. Surprisingly enough, however, this may not be a bawful game. The Bobcats have won three straight, and the Knicks have won straight. And we have a total style contrast: the Bobcats don't score many points, but don't give up many points either. The Knicks, on the other hand, are confused by this "defense" concept they occasionally hear about, and are afraid to try it.

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:
Blogger AnacondaHL said...
NBA is smart enough not to mess with the BCS Championship.

Calling a Texas win now.

Anonymous kazam92 said...
i notice in 2k you dont give a crap about the in game grading. You got a C- objective? I get A+ objectives. I do try to appease toe evil system since I need the skill points and my guy still sucks.

Blogger AnacondaHL said...
Stat curse update: McCoy's shoulder found in his liver.

Blogger Dan B. said...
kazam92 -- I got an A+ that game. However, my objective was only to get a C+ at a minimum. The only time I don't get an A+ anymore (since moving to 8 minute quarters) is when I have one of those weird games where NOTHING goes right AND I get in foul trouble and sit on the bench a lot. I had that a game ago actually, I only played like 15 minutes and could NOT get anything going right. I actually fouled out with two minutes left in the game, but before that all of my passes were getting deflected, I couldn't get credit for "good shot selection" even on good looking layups, and I was struggling to get any stops on defense. But then I came back the next game with a 40 point, 10 assist, 8 steal effort.

The best ways I've found to rack up skill points... Catch the man moving toward the hoop whenever possible for the easy assist. Also, run across to either the left or right side just outside the paint, then cut back across to get the layup if you catch some daylight or are covered by a slow defender. If you don't make any room, kick the ball outside for a teammate who will probably find some room for the jumper, or you might find someone else snuck under the basket, and they'll give you a nice assist there. Also, play off a little on defense if you're guarding someone who isn't a good outside shooter, and try to pick the ball off by running into passing lanes. Also, if you are defending someone who isn't a good ball handler, try to poke the ball loose from behind occasionally, and keep him under constant pressure to force turnovers.

Blogger AnacondaHL said...
Bobcats blew it. Championship game sucks. I let the TV switch over to record Jersey Shore. Sports fail tonight.

Blogger Dan B. said...
AnacondaHL -- Watching Jersey Shore right now. Epic episode. The Situation's sister showing up, Snooki getting attacked by a "hippo," and Ronnie beating the crap out of some dude. That's quality entertainment.

Anonymous kazam92 said...
Thanks. I consistently do the first thing with assists. My guy averages 6.5 pts 5 rebounds and 5 assists a game. I'm like half of jason kidd playing SF. This game is so maddening yet amazingly addicting. and my apologizes for assuming you got a C

Blogger mrm3x1can said...
What difficulty do you play?

Also, Sammi pisses me off.

Blogger Dan B. said...
kazam92 -- I did get a C in that one game I mentioned a few minutes ago. It happens sometimes. I just get an A+ 9 times out of 10 now just because improving your skill level helps you improve your teammate rating, if that makes sense. It's easier to earn points from getting good looks at the basket and dishing good passes when your player is more talented. Also bear in mind that you're playing SF, while I'm playing SG. It seems like most people tend to play as guards in My Player mode since you get more touches and can dictate the offense. You're a little more limited by being a forward in that you have to rely on your guards to feed the ball to you effectively. Don't be afraid to call for a pass every once in awhile. As long as you don't lay on the call for pass button, the positives ("Good shot selection," points, assists, second-chance points and rebounds off misses) outweight the negative of your teammates yelling at you for a bad call for a pass. Likewise, going for a lot of steals gets you yelled at for Bad Steal Attempt, but I've had countless times where I got negative credit for a bad steal attempt, AND then got positive credit for getting the steal on the same freaking play. Whatever.

mrm3x1can -- The difficulty in My Player mode isn't adjustable in-game from what I understand. However, you can adjust it using the same methods as quarter length. I may have to up the difficulty level a little and see what happens, since the game is starting to get much easier now that my guy doesn't suck anymore. (I am shooting like 65% now even though I can't hit a jump shot to save my life. My layup ability is at 99, and my dunking ability is like 56)

And, yes, Sammi is a colossal bitch. She can dish it out, but she can't take it. She picks fights constantly, but doesn't want to deal with it when someone calls her on it. Horrible. And yet she's still the least awful of the female contingent of that show. I can't wait until next week, though, when Jwoww hits The Situation in the face in the same episode where The Situation makes a classic fat joke about Snooki. That preview was awesome.

Blogger AnacondaHL said...
mrm3x1can - I cheered audibly and held my fist in the air for a good 2 minutes when Ronnie started fighting. Some alcohol is in me right now.

Anonymous k said...
Dan B. - From what I read, MyPlayer takes the difficulty/slider settings of your original settings in the main menu. Do you know if that is really true bc then I'd been playing on Hall of Fame w/ sliders I downloaded fr the internet that makes layups harder. Also what was your overall rating at the end of the season?

Blogger Dan B. said...
AnacondaHL -- I was pumping my fist in the air and cheering too, and I can't even claim that I drank any alcohol.

K -- I just left the difficulty and sliders at the defaults since I hadn't played the game much and really sucked at it at first. (The first time I tried a My Player career, I couldn't even make it out of the D-League) However, I've also heard that there's a significant advantage to playing in Hall of Fame as far as the "fun" factor goes -- your teammates become smarter and make more useful moves across the court and take better shots. I don't know if it it's true, but if so, my scoring may go down, but my assists may go up! And yes, layups are way, way, way too easy now that my player is relatively skilled. It's mostly because the interior defense played by the AI is decidedly matador-like. This goes on both ends of the floor, which leads to you getting scored on very easily if you catch a team thats goot at driving the lane. However, I also am tempted to leave the difficulty a little too low for a little while just so I can rack up sick numbers and reach milestones quicker, which helps boost my skill points so I can improve my player's talent before really seeking a challenge.

At the end of the season I was I think a 71 overall (Overall ratings however are kinda goofy, since your Mental stuff weighs very heavily in your overall rating, so I'm actually a poor rebounder and have a crappy jumpshot, but I'm an 80something defender who plays well in the clutch)

Blogger Steven Prentiss said...
Question regarding those screen captures...is the Commissioner's suit from the Craig Sager collection?

Blogger Dan B. said...
Steven -- There aren't enough weird, contrasting colors and designs all over it to be a true Craig Sager Collection piece. It must be a cheap knockoff he bought from a street vendor.

Anonymous kazam92 said...
Yeah I kinda regretted picking SF but to my credit I made myself a point-forward which means I do some ball handling. Doesn't help though that (i'm on the magic) jameer nelson is retarded in the game and throws alley-oops to no one and commits backcourt violations without any sort of D on him

Blogger Dan B. said...
kazam92 -- I too have seen the pains of unnecessary backcourt violations and bad alley-oops and dribbling out of bounds for no goddamn reason. That's why I made sure I'm a point guard. I can minimize mind-numbingly stupid ball-handling errors.

Anonymous kazam92 said...
I will make sure to do that if I make a new My Player sometime later. I think I was too concerned with actually making my guy look and play like me even though he looks like an eskimo with sideburns