Camera of Shame (kam'-ruh uv shaem) noun. The camera shot of a basketball player or coach's frustrated reaction to a questionable call, embarassing mistake, or humiliating loss.

Usage example: Yao Ming got benched after a couple of cheap fouls, and he was pissed. They caught his reaction on the Camera of Shame.

Word Trivia: I love the Camera of Shame. It's given me some of my happiest moments, like James Worthy flopping around on the floor after a non-call in the 1984 NBA Finals; Bill Laimbeer sitting stunned on the Boston Garden parquet, blood trickling out of his mouth, after Robert Parish clocked him from behind in Game 5 of the 1987 Eastern Conference Finals; Detlef Schrempf jumping around like an 8-year-old girl after a call went against him in the first round of the 1992 Eastern Conference playoffs; and last but certainly not least, Kobe Bryant crying after the Spurs eliminated the Lakers in the 2003 Western Conference Semifinals. Good times...good times.

There are so many variations of the CoS shot. There's the stoic "I don't give a crap" reaction, the arrogant "I meant to do that" reaction, the "It's not my fault" denial reaction, the "Yup, that was my bad" reaction, and of course the complete and total meltdown (see The Collected Works of Ron Artest -- thanks mrberg).

Here's a short clip of Yao Ming dropping an F-Bomb after getting benched.


And here's the classic video of Dirk Nowitzki's infamous post-game Blitzkrieg after the Mavericks lost Game 5 of the 2005 NBA Finals: Dirk drop-kicks a ball into the stands, tries (and fails) to push over an exercise bike, and then karate-kicks a wall. If watching this video doesn't make you happy, then your mom was right: You'll never, ever be happy.


And Lee, you were right: This post wouldn't be complete without at least one Rasheed Wallace freakout.


This one is for starang...watch Brad Miller's reaction.

Labels:

14 Comments:
Blogger Unknown said...
Weak... but dirk is weak...Let's get some Rasheed meltdowns on here :-)

Blogger Unknown said...
There ya Go!! :-) "Rulebook Jones" is hilarious.

F'Sho-Ya Daily Dose of Sardonic Rillness'
http://sobo.podomatic.com

Blogger mrberg said...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Seeing Laimbeer get punched made my day.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
One of my all time favorites was a Suns vs Kings game. I can't remember exactly when, but it was within the last few years.

I think it was Amare that blocked a Brad Miller shot to win the game. Brad, and Mike Bibby, thought it was goal tending, making them the winners.

I have never seen two grown men break down into 3 year old form before in my life. Fckng hilarious. And it made my season. There was crying, cursing, ball kicking, stomping up and down. All-out, balls to the wall, throwing a fit like they were in kindergarden....it was incredible to say the least. If you could find that video and post it, I might make sweet man love to you. You are a man right?

BTW, Amare blocking shots to win games is rediculous. He is kinda the man. He blocked a Duncan shot to win a Conference Final playoff game too, if I remember correctly. Who does that? I'll tell you who. STAT.

Blogger Basketbawful said...
jaz -- Dude, I know what you mean. No matter how down I am, watching that always, always, always cheers me up.

starang -- Ask and you shall receive. I'm a dude, so if you're a dude I have to turn down your offer of sweet love. However, if you have a hot sister, we should talk...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hey, about Milicic going crazy after Serbia lost to Greece. Nice little Gangsta Rap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci3j363HWQM

Blogger Pete Fresh said...
Does shame cam count if its in another language? If it does, Darko's got some 'splainin to do.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jaKk8vBiCPw

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Dear Basketbawful....what is kobe doing in this picture?? http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/apphoto/photo?sportId=46&photoId=1677317

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Aww poor Dirk!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although that was a pretty weak karate kick!

I lmao everytime I see rasheed wallace throw his jersey just because of kenny, ernie, and chuck's commentary in the background!

LIGHTS OUT!!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Here's my list of the most beautiful things I have ever seen:

1. Kobe Bryant crying
2. My twin sons being born

Liston

Anonymous Anonymous said...
YES!!!!!! THAT IS THE ONE!!!! BRAD MILLER, YOU ARE SUCH A LITTLE BISH, AND THAT VIDEO PROVES IT!!!

Thanks Basketbawful. That was awesome! Here is a picture of my sister, let me know if your interested:

http://www.gruffy.grkov.com/images/images/nice_lady_body_builder_ugly_woman_funny_picture_funfry_resize.JPG

Blogger chris said...
The best one though is Isiah after THE Possession!

Blogger chris said...
Another addition to the Camera of Shame:

Dwight Howard shanking the free throws in the 2009 NBA Finals!!!!!!