Check out this wacky commercial for the Bird 33 sneakers from Skechers that -- as far as I can tell -- don't even exist. Which makes sense, since I don't remember the real Larry Bird ever being quite as mobile as the digital version. Publicity stunt? Scam? Really poor marketing? You be the judge.


Seriously, though, I thought Bird was a lifelong Converse man. What happened? He must not remember what they did for him. But I do. (Hint: He walked away with something...)


Update! I guess the Bird 33s actually do exist. Trev sent in this link and Steve sent in this one and this one. Apparently, they're meant for kids, which seems...odd to me. I mean, how many 10-year-old Larry Bird fans have you met? Personally, I keep five or six ragamuffins locked up in crawl space at all times, forcing them to watch Larry Bird: A Basketball Legend over and over Clockwork Orange-style. But I've probably only gotten, say, a couple hundred brainwashed over the years, and that's hardly enough to support a shoe line.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:
Blogger Trev said...
I've been seeing these commercials on Nickelodeon of all places (I have two small kids) and you can get them here

http://www.endless.com/dp/B000TFPMWM?tag=msn-endless-20&linkCode=asn

Is it just me or do they look a lot like a payless version of the Jordan III's?

Blogger Steve said...
Apparently they do exist, but only for kids.

http://www.zappos.com/n/br/b/1726/Bird%2033%20Boys.html
http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722672334/page/1.html

Blogger .notebook said...
What's with Magic Johnson looking @ Bird like he's going to make out w/ him @ the end of that commercial?

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Those guys make MC Hammer look like Jay-Z