butt slap (but slap) noun. The act of patting or slapping a teammate on the posterior; used to acknowledge a great play or as a general display of camaraderie.

Usage example: When you go in for a butt slap, don't use too much cup. Actually, you know what? Just don't butt slap your teammates. It's kind of gay.

Word trivia: Although I've been active in team sports since I started playing PAL soccer in the fourth grade, I fortunately never got into the habit of butt slapping my teammates. However, I did have one memorable (in the bad way) butt slap experience back in college. At the time, I would go to a local health club to play basketball with and against my girlfriend's dad, George, any time I came home for the weekend or on a break.

Normally, I avoid mass showers like the plague because, well, do I really need to explain why? (Okay, fine. The size of my massive penis intimidates most mortal men. Happy now, Mr. Nosy McNosenstein?) But on this particular occasion, George and I were going back to his house for a family dinner, so I had to look all spiffy (showing up to your girlfriend's family dinner all sweaty only works if you're Fabio and your sweat smells like a warm summer day). George got caught up talking with his brother and some friends who had come out for the game, so my plan was to run to the shower, rinse off super-quick, then scurry back and slip into my clothes...thus achieving minimal body exposure time.

However, just like when I'm actually playing basketball, I wasn't nearly as fast as I thought. The rest of the group was right behind me. George was the first one in, and he gave me a hearty slap on my bare ass and said, "Good game." His brother followed him in and did the same. And so did the rest of the guys. I felt like I was taking part in some kind of strange Fraternity hazing ritual. I mean, those dudes were hitting me hard.

Of course, I know it was just a generational thing. They all grew up playing team sports in a time before athletes were expected to be homophobic. But it was emotionally scarring nonetheless. And I have not taken another shower to this day.

Synonyms: Also referred to as either the ass slap or (more rarely) the sportsman's slap.

Hat tip: The above video was featured on Hardwood Paroxysm and was sent to me by The Sports Tsar.]

Labels: ,

17 Comments:
Blogger Ryne Nelson said...
I can gladly say that in many years of team sports, I have never gotten the infamous 'butt slap.' This is something University sports and society professors spend their lives contemplating.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
hahaha that really better have been your girlfriend's dad's name. i would feel dirty knowing you used more than just the link i sent you...

George

Blogger stephanie g said...
Showering isn't that gay. I mean, OK, it's a bunch of hard bodied young men showering together while soaping up their dangly bits but...well, that's only functional after all. Hot, but not gay.

The whole butt slapping thing? I don't get it. I wasn't aware that homophobic alpha males as athletes was a recent thing. I thought that had a long, proud history going back to Sparta or something. But yeah, if guys want to show their appreciation for each other after a great play or whatever why don't they, say, slap each other's shoulders? Or bump chests? Or do some ghetto handshake? Why go straight for the ass? What's next, giving their family jewels a little massage?

I also find it maddening that men joke about all women athletes being lesbians but if a male athlete is even hinted at being gay (or worse, comes out and admits it) it's an absolute outrage and you can mine these asshole players for blatantly homophobic and insecure quotes.

*insert rant against the patriarchy here*

It's all good though. Things are getting better. The zeitgeist does become more enlightened. It may not seem like it at the time but just look back twenty, thirty years and look how much better things are.

Blogger Basketbawful said...
ryne -- You're one of the lucky ones.

sports tsar -- That was indeed his name. As far as you know. George.

stephanie g -- If it makes you feel any better, I have no problem playing ball with gay athletes, and have done so. But I don't like showering with other dudes, gay or straight. It's more a privacy preference than anything else. And in general, I don't like people grabbing my ass, unless it's in that, "I really, really like your basketball blog" kind of way. Then it's totally cool.

Is there a semantic difference between the "butt slap" and the "ass slap"?

Blogger Basketbawful said...
futuremrrickankiel -- Nope. Just the fact that, in this context anyway, I enjoy saying "butt" more than "ass."

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm with basketbawful on this one just comfort level is all.

Blogger Drake said...
I think the main point was that Basketbawful didn't just get a butt slap; he got a but slap by several people while he was naked AND while they were naked as well. AND the one who initiated it was his girlfriend's father. I would say that would make it doubly uncomfortable, to say the least.

Blogger Basketbawful said...
drake -- You hit that one right on the, uh, ass.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
!!BAD MEMORIES BAD MEMORIES!!

And I'm a GIRL! Don't ask.

*Goes and takes shower with bleach*

LJ

Anonymous Anonymous said...
well once you summed that up LOL that works for me that is pretty creepy too

Blogger Basketbawful said...
LJ -- I'm really sorry. But if you want to share those memories, feel free. Somtimes it's good to purge.

shrugz -- Thank you, sir. Once again, you make me feel less strange. And I mean that in a good way.

Blogger stephanie g said...
Basketbawful: You won't get any disagreement from me on that front. I hated showering with the other girls in high school gym. And having your naked ass slapped uninvited is pretty creepy.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I've always wanted to learn to butt slap fellow basketball players, but I'm afraid to practice to get my technique down.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
haha, thanks for using my vid on your blog dude, im gonna start reading this good shit on here :)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Question/Possible word-of-the-day:

What would you call the opposite of a breakout season (besides contract year phenomenon)?

Example usage: "Boris Diaw is having a ______."

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Heh...

Well, this is all I'm going to say.

It was a *church-league* softball team - and here I was thinking that old "What Would Jesus Do?" thing had been over used...

Nope.

WWJD! Not that!

~LJ