devils_tower_fog

Even without Spielberg...still creepy.


For the first time on the trip, I am met with audible amusement when I ask about the presence of a TV. I can almost hear Bill laughing at me from his couch.

On this stop, the first hour is standard procedure:

1. Purchase hot dogs and expensive-but-essential souvenir refrigerator magnet from the combination gift shop-grocery store.

2. Set up tent.

3. Remove sleeping bags, perishables, and used fast food containers from minivan.

Then for the real fun – testing the campground’s WiFi.

At a picnic table beneath the shadow of the massive volcanic neck, I hunch and sweat over my laptop screen like a radio technician during the climax of a submarine movie, Googling countless variations of the term free online TV. For my effort, I am rewarded with grainy video of a sweaty Pau Gasol walking off the TD Garden floor at the end of the first half. After three seconds, the video freezes, then disappears soon after. I suppose I should be grateful for my ephemeral success – I am now armed with the invaluable knowledge that Pau Gasol gets shiny and wet when he plays basketball.

Online radio it is.

Pau-Gasol

The sole advantage of online radio:
not having to look at this homely mug.


************

Links:
Travelling: Intro / Book Jacket, Chapter 1: Cribbagegate, Chapter 2: Two e-mails, Chapter 3: Pattern, Chapter 4: Shattered, Chapter 5: Hilarious Pee, Chapter 6: Suicide, Chapter 7/8: Coaching High school, Shark attacks and appetizers, Chapter 9: June, Chapter 10: 18 and oh no, Chapter 11: DNA, Chapter 12: Peanut Butter Sandwiches, Chapter 13: Tom Brady and the McGuffin, Chapter 14: Game 1, Chapter 15: Who the H is John Havlicek?, Chapters 16 - 17, Chapter 18: Game 2: Great White, Chapter 19: Pickle, Chapter 20: Marty McFly, Chapter 21 / 22: standard deviation, all the pretty flowers, Chapter 23: Game 3: Black Hills, Chapter 24: Twister, Chapter 25: Game 4, Chapter 26: Patriotic Agony

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:
Blogger Evil Ted said...
Rhett's argument - or lack of one - persuaded me.

ET

Blogger Rhett said...
Win!

Blogger Rhett said...
p.s. Tomarrow I embark on weeklong road trip with the wife and in laws. Any chance i could borrow that hat as a lucky tailisman of sorts?