In the words of the Great Captain Kirk, "KHAAAAAANNNN!!!!!".
The David Kahn era of the Minnesota Timberwolves has finally come to a close. Today it was announced that owner Glen Taylor would not renew David Kahn's contract. He was President of Basketball Operations from 2009 until today. During his four seasons, the team had an overall record of 89-223. They would fail to make the playoffs every year. As is tradition here at Basketbawful, I'd like to highlight Kahn's lowlights while he was the helm of the T-wolves.
"Guys, I think its safe to say, we've got a bright future here."
***Disclaimer: I'd like to note that some of the following transactions were not solely David Kahn's fault. However, in the interest of comedy I will place each and every one squarely at his feet. Enjoy!***
- June 24, 2009 - Minnesota trades Randy Foye and Mike Miller to Washington for the 5th pick in the 2009 Draft. (Awesome)
- June 25, 2009 - Minnesota selects Ricky Rubio with the 5th pick in the Draft. (Rubio, still in his contract with his Spanish club, would not make his NBA debut for another two years. No worries because...)
- June 25, 2009 - Minnesota selects Johnny Flynn with the 6th pick in the Draft. ( -__-)
- June 25, 2009 - Minnesota selects Ty Lawson with the 18th pick in the Draft....Yet they trade him to the Nuggets in exchange for Wayne Ellington. (I..I don't even...huh???)
- August 11, 2009 - Kurt "My offense is too complicated for this simple minded roster" Rambis is hired as head coach.
- June 24, 2010 - Minnesota selects small forward Wesley Johnson with the 4th pick in the Draft, passing up on the three times as talented Paul George. They also passed up center Demarcus Cousins. (No worries because...)
- July 1, 2010 - Minnesota apparently agrees to a 4 year deal with The Darko Milicic.
- July 12, 2010 - Timberwolves acquire Michael Beasley from Miami for two second round picks. (Would have been a great move had Beasley not been so...ya know...Beasley-ish.)
- July 13, 2010 -Timberwolves trade Al Jefferson to Utah for...Uhh...Kosta Koufos???
- July 28, 2010 - Minnesota agrees to a 3 year deal with Nikola Pekovic. (Awesome)
- June 23, 2011 - Minnesota selects Derrick Williams with the 2nd pick in the Draft. (I'll give them a pass because taking anyone else at number 2 that year would have been too high. And Williams tires hard.)
- July 12, 2011 - Kurt Rambis is taken behind the barn and put out of his misery.
- September 13, 2011 - Timberwolves hire Rick Adelman as head coach. (Awesome)
- January 27, 2012 - Kahn decides to roll the dice with the franchise's future and offer Kevin Love a 4 year deal with a player option after the 3rd year. (In other words, K. Love is opting out in 2015.)
- July 15, 2012 - Timberwolves sign Nic Batum to a 4 year offer sheet worth more than $45 million. (Luckily the Trailblazers saved Kahn from himself and matched the offer sheet. No worries because...)
- July 27, 2012 - Timberwolves sign Andrei Kirilenko for 2 years $20 million. (Ehh...)
There you have it. David Kahn's greatest hits. I for one am going to miss ol' Davey. This florist of failure has provided me with many chuckles over the years. I can't wait to see what franchise he'll screw up next. In the meantime, let us enjoy the inevitable comedy that new president Flip Saunders will bring.